If you have to try one new recipe this year, this is the one!
- 1 whole fresh trout (1.1to 1.5kg).
- If you use a whole salmon, double the quantities and ingredients.
- Salt, Pepper, Extra virgin olive oil, Baking paper
- 1 small clove of garlic crushed
- 1cup of plain yoghurt
- 3 tablespoons of tahini
- Lemon juice
- 80 gms roasted chopped walnuts
- 1 small or half a medium red onion chopped finely
- 1 long red chillie seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup coriander leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup mint chopped
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sumac (Can be omitted if you do not have any)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degree.
- Wash the trout and dry with kitchen paper.
- Drizzle and season the trout inside and out with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Wrap in baking paper and place on a baking tray.
- Cook for 15 mins on one side then turn over and cook another 15 mins.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool down.
Make the dressing (A) by mixing together the garlic, yoghurt, tahini and lemon juice.
Season with salt to taste. Set aside to let the flavours infuse.
In a bowl mix ingredients (B), walnuts, onions, chilli, coriander, mint, lemon juice,
extra virgin oil and sumac, to make a herb salsa.
Just before serving place the trout on a serving platter, with a sharp knife through
the skin of the fish from head to tail, lift the skin away.
Spoon the tahini dressing (A) over the fish and then pat the herb salsa (B) on top.
Serve with a crisp cold Miravel Sauvignon Blanc.
This dish is best served at room temperature so is great for entertaining as the fish
can be cooked a few hours in advance.